ads

วันศุกร์ที่ 5 กุมภาพันธ์ พ.ศ. 2553

Cobbler the Easy Way and A Dumpling Update

Cobbler the Easy Way

We all like cobbler. It's a favorite of scouts and scouters. They make it in a Dutch oven using Bisquick® or floor and baking powder as the dough. They put hot coals on top of the Dutch oven lid and let it bake for a hour or so. Yes, they do put some fruit under the stuff, usually from a can. From my experience, no matter how the cobbler comes out of that Dutch oven, you are ready to eat it and say that it is yummy.

Last night I was craving some cobbler. I jumped out of my TV Chair and hustled into the kitchen and started cooking. I had never made cobbler this way before but I knew it would be wonderful-which it was. It was very simple because I keep a few things around the house just in case I have a cooking fit come on. Here is what I used and what you will need if you decide to make this dish yourself:

2-cans of peaches or other fruit.

1-lump of brown sugar (well, use a spoon, but my is always like rocks).

1-shake of cinnamon.

1-tube of cinnamon role dough which I deep in my refrigerator.

Drop the fruit into a sauce pan. Use a larger pan so you will have more surface area.
Now adds some cinnamon and brown sugar.
And best of all, take the frosting packet from your role of cinnamon dough and squeeze it into the fruit mixture. (Of course you lick your fingers.)
Give the fruit mixture a stir.

Bring the mixture to a strong boil. Place the cinnamon roles from the pastry tube on the top of the boiling mixture. I suggest that you gently drop them so that you don't burn your pinkies. Slap the lid on the pan, set your timer for 20 minutes and keep it boiling for a good 20 minutes. You may have to watch the boil and cut the heat back as it boils. Just don't let it boil over and spread the gooey mess all over your stove top. Don't lift the lid while it is cooking. The head must get into the top of the cinnamon roles.

After 20 minutes, I just pull the pot off the burner, or I shut the burner off, and let it cool with the lid on. The fact is that if you let it sit, it gets better. That's why I had cobbler last night but also this morning before breakfast. Yes, cobbler makes me hungry so I added a cheese omelet.

It is very good.

A Dumpling Update

As you know I have been trying to make dumplings that resemble those made by Mrs. Mullins, my Swedish neighbor when I was a boy. I made dough from scratch and I've used refrigerated dough from Don the Grocer. Croissant dough makes a pretty good dumpling but I stretched my memory of those dumplings of Mrs. Mullins and came up with a pretty close match. Here is how I did it:

I took a tube of buttermilk biscuit dough and rolled the dough into balls. Then I added dried parsley, oregano, and basel and worked it into the dough. Then to make my wife happy, or so I thought, I grated some cheese and worked that into the mix. My theory was that at least I would have dumplings with a cheese flavor which would please my cheese-loving wife.

I made up a chicken soup and got it boiling. Then I put the dumplings on top and closed the lid for that all important 20-minute-boil without removing the lid during the boil.

When they were cooked, I had a close match to Mrs. Mullins' dumplings. The flavor was there and the texture was there. But they had no cheese flavor at all. What the cheese did was give the dumplings the texture that was in Mrs. Mullins' dumplings!

I'm a very happy man!

The End

copyright©2007 John Taylor Jones, Ph.D. (Taylor Jones the Hack Writer)




John T. Jones, Ph.D. (tjbooks@hotmail.com), a retired college professor and business executive, Former editor of an international engineering magazine. To learn more about Wealthy Affiliate University go to his info site. If you desire a flagpole to Fly Old Glory, go to the business site.

More info: http://www.InternetBusinessToolCenter.com

Business web site: http://www.AAAFlagpoles.com

บทความ ด้านคอมพิวเตอร์

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น